Friday, August 10, 2007

Vertex VX 950 PROVE 2 Hep C Trial Conclusion

Quick factual update - unfortunately the low positive on the 85th and final day of treatment was a presage of things to come. The virus came back with a vengeance (1,450,000 IU/ml) one month later. On Thursday 14th June I discussed it with the Professor and elected to wait until (and if) the new treatment is licensed in 3 or 4 years' time or so before I try treatment again (as long as my LFT's don't go through the roof, ie 200 or above). I had a fibroscan while I was there(a non-invasive biopsy) which confirmed mild fibrosis. My latest Liver Function Tests read -

ALT 102
AST 85
HCV RNA 757,969 IU/ml.

Pre-treatment (Dec '06) they were 162 and 129 respectively.

My conclusions? The VX950 clearly worked and was a massive improvement on current standard of care treatment consisting of interferon and ribavarin alone but suppressed rather than eliminated some variants of the virus.

It needs the ribavarin to eliminate these variants - and it needs longer. I've no doubt that if I'd been able to consolidate my earlier apparent clearance of the virus with another 6 months of conventional SOC Peg/Rib treatment I'd be genuinely clear. Initially I was emotionally over-invested in the Vertex... bought into the excessive cure-all hype... 'cause I wanted to believe. But now, from the sober perspective of 4 months on, despite the initial disappointment of the viral return, I'm glad I got the opportunity to take part in the trial. What I gained was a wealth of information, not just about the mechanics of the virus but also about myself - a modest lesson in stoicism.

I had negligible side-effects during and after treatment (none from the VX950) and remain in good health with improved liver function. My treatment at the Hampstead Royal Free Hospital was (and remains) superb. And, although it was never my first priority, I'm experiencing the novel glow of altruism (thrust upon me so to speak) having - albeit unwittingly - infinitesimally increased the pool of available information about hepatitus C.

If the result of these trials is an effective 6 month treatment for people with genotype 1a/1b hep c (with or without Ribavarin)- a result that currently appears highly likely - then Vertex will have achieved a major breakthrough in the treatment of Hep C that could spell the difference between life and death for thousands of people. If the result is simply a more effective 12 month treatment with improved outcomes... the same applies; though having analysed all the available information, my money's on the former, ie 6 months Peg/Riba plus 12 weeks VX 950 with massively improved outcomes for genotype 1a/1b sufferers. Having said that, thats my last word on Hep C for the next few years. Best of luck to all my fellow trial participants.

Now out into a late summer london basking in glorious sunshine leavened by a cooling breeze. I'm off work, and its Friday!

1 Comments:

Blogger Libzo said...

what a loving generous soul you are! Your kindness has made a difference in my day. Thank you. I will be patient and hope. I feel though I relapsed from the ACHIEVE trial in 2007-8, at least I also contributed to the great effort made by so many before me so that others may succeed, perhaps a relative, perhaps a friend I haven't met or an ex - I give, I live. Libett

12:17 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home